Roma, 16 settembre 2008
Dichiarazione di Maurizio Turco, deputato radicale eletto nel PD e Segretario di Anticlericale.net, e di Mario Staderini, della Giunta di Direzione di Radicali Italiani e autore del libro “8 per mille, come lo Stato sottrae ogni anno 1 miliardo di euro agli italiani per darli alla Chiesa cattolica”
I dati sulle scelte sull’otto per mille espresse dagli italiani con dichiarazioni dei redditi 2006 e valide per il 2009, anticipati ieri da Adista, confermano quanto sosteniamo da tempo: il miliardo di euro che ogni anno viene sottratto dal bilancio dello Stato in favore della CEI è frutto di un patto scellerato tra quest’ultima ed i Governi italiani, che da 18 anni tengono nascosto al Paese il reale funzionamento dell’otto per mille.
8 PER THOUSAND: THE RADICAL PARTY SAYS THE ITALIAN BISHOPS MAKE MONEY DUE TO THE IGNORANCE IMPOSED BY THE GOVERNMENT. IF CITIZENS WERE GIVEN A CORRECT INFORMATION, THE BISHOPS WOULDN'T CASH AN ADDITIONAL YEARLY SUM OF 600 MILLION EUROS
Rome, September 15, 2008
Statement by Maurizio Turco, leader of the Transnational Radical Party, secretary of the association Anticlericale.net, Democratic Party member of the House of Deputies and Mario Staderini, member of the executive board of the Italian Radical Party and author of the book “8 per mille, come lo Stato sottrae ogni anno 1 miliardo di euro agli italiani per darli alla Chiesa cattolica” (8 per thousand, how the State subtracts every year 1 billion euros from the Italian taxpayer to benefit the Catholic Church).
The recent data about the choice of the 8 per thousand (the taxpayers can donate eight euros for each one thousand euros of their taxable income to some religious institutions or to the Italian State) about the year 2006, which will have effect in the year 2009, is confirming what has been said by us for a long time: the sum of one billion euros which is yearly subtracted from the Italian budget in favor of CEI ( Italian Bishop Conference) is the fruit of a wicked pact between the CEI and the Italian Governments, which have been hiding to the taxpayers the real mechanism of the 8 per thousand.
In 2004, using the few means available to the Radical Association Anticlericale.net, we started a campaign to inform the 64% of Italians who didn't make any choice of the consequence of their action. By not signing, in fact, their money didn't remain in the State coffers but were divided according to the proportions reached by the remaining 36% of the Italians who had instead made a choice.
We learn now with satisfaction that in three years, the number of those who don't make any choice has lowered to 59% and those who express their choice in favor of the State is increased from 7,7% to 11%.
In an absolute value that means 800 thousand additional signatures in favor of the State, while the Catholic Church got only an increase of 38 thousand signatures.
We are sure that if the Government had done its duty, that's to inform the citizens, the allocations of the eight per thousand would be much different, and the CEI would lose a good portion of the 600 hundred millions of extra income which is cashed yearly for the induced ignorance.
Is the Minister for the Economy Tremonti, who was the inspirer of the mechanism of the eight per thousand, write a letter in addition to the letter the Italian bishops are going to write the taxpayers to solicit their donations to the Catholic Church?