Priests in a Parish: We use the following
convention to show a priest's place among the clergy of a parish: 1/2 means
that he is the first priest listed in the Official Catholic Directory (usually
the pastor) and that there is a total of two priests at the parish. The shorthand
3/4 means that the priest is listed third on a four-priest roster. See our sample
page from the Directory.
Source: Official Catholic Directory (Kenedy & Sons, 1966-2002).
• Leonard Chambers, By Stephen Kurkijian, Boston Globe, March 18, 2002
• No Current Local Child Abuse Cases, Diocese Says, Springfield News Leader, March 18, 2002
• Diocese Identifies Two Other Priests Accused of Abusing Minor, By Connie Farrow, Assoicated Press State & Local Wire, March 19, 2002
• Second Priest in Letter Named, By Linda Leicht, Springfield News Leader, March 19 2002
• Two More Priests Accused, Batesville Daily Guard, March 20, 2002
• Diocese Announces Sweeping Changes in Sex-Abuse Policies, Springfield News Leader, March 20, 2002
• Deposition of Cardinal Bernard Law, Suffolk County Superior Court, June 5, 2002
• Bishop John Leibrecht, Dallas Morning News, June 12, 2002
• Bishop Leibrecht - Addresses Sexual Abuse to Diocese, The Mirror, March 22, 2003
• 'Credible' Abuse Accusation Brought against Dead Priest, By Linda Leicht, Springfield News Leader, January 1, 2008
• New Allegation of Abuse Surfaces against Deceased Former Priest, Joplin Globe, May 1, 2017
Official Catholic Directory aims to report the whereabouts of Catholic
priests in the United States on January 1 of the Directory's publication
year. Our working assumption is that a priest listed in the Directory
for a given year was at the same assignment for part of the previous year
as well. However, Kenedy and Sons will sometimes accept updates well into
the year of publication. Diocesan clergy records are rarely available to
correct this information. The Directory is also sometimes misleading
or wrong. We have tried to create an accurate assignment record, given the
source materials and their limitations. Assignment records are a work in
progress and we are always improving the records that we post. Please email
us with new information and corrections.
This assignment record collates Chambers's career history as it is represented
in the Official Catholic Directory with the allegations against him, as reported in
the media. We make no representation regarding the truth of the allegations
we report, and we remind our readers that the U.S. legal system presumes
that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven
guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are
presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise.
Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private
settlements. For more information, see our posting
This assignment record was last updated on June 16, 2017.