Priests in a Parish: We use the following
convention to show a priest's place among the clergy of a parish: 1/2 means
that he is the first priest listed in the Official Catholic Directory (usually
the pastor) and that there is a total of two priests at the parish. The shorthand
3/4 means that the priest is listed third on a four-priest roster. See our sample
page from the Directory.
Source: Official Catholic Directory (Kenedy & Sons, 1976-1978).
• Priest, Marist Brother Accused of Sex with Boys, By Jeffrey K. Parker, United Press International, May 13, 1988
• Ex-School Employees Charged in Sex Case, New York Times, May 14, 1988
• Activists Rally for Gay Priest, By Ellis Henican, Newsday, May 20, 1988
• Former Chaplain Charges Sex Trial 'Smear Campaign', By Ellis Henican, Newsday, April 19, 1989
• Witness Reports Fondling by Priest, By Ellis Henican, Newsday, April 20, 1989
• Gay NY Priest's Road to a Lonely Exile in London, By Curtis Rist, Newsday, February 16, 1993
• Set the Record Straight, By Joseph Zwilling, Newsday, March 6, 1993
• Father Bernard Lynch: 'The Vatican Has Told Them to Get Rid of Me', By Peter Stanford, The Independent, By Peter Stanford, April 8, 2012
• Father Bernard Lynch, Gay Catholic Priest, Reveals He's Married to a Man, Non-celibate, Huffington Post, July 10, 2012
• Catholic Priest Admits 14-Year Gay Marriage, Says Forced Celibacy Leads to Abuse, By Stoyan Zaimov, Christian Post, July 11, 2012
• Fr. Bernard J. Lynch, website, accessed April 13, 2017
Official Catholic Directory aims to report the whereabouts of Catholic
priests in the United States on January 1 of the Directory's publication
year. Our working assumption is that a priest listed in the Directory
for a given year was at the same assignment for part of the previous year
as well. However, Kenedy and Sons will sometimes accept updates well into
the year of publication. Diocesan clergy records are rarely available to
correct this information. The Directory is also sometimes misleading
or wrong. We have tried to create an accurate assignment record, given the
source materials and their limitations. Assignment records are a work in
progress and we are always improving the records that we post. Please email
us with new information and corrections.
This assignment record collates Lynch's career history as it is represented
in the Official Catholic Directory with the allegations against him, as reported in
the media. We make no representation regarding the truth of the allegations
we report, and we remind our readers that the U.S. legal system presumes
that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven
guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are
presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise.
Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private
settlements. For more information, see our posting
This assignment record was last updated on April 13, 2017.