John Doe v. Diocese of Manchester
and Oblates of Mary Immaculate

The lawsuit John Doe v. Diocese of Manchester and Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate was filed on July 21, 2010. The suit alleged that Rev. George St. Jean OMI sexually abused John Doe, an 11- or 12-year-old altar boy, on multiple occasions in 1967-1968. The abuse usually occurred at the Shrine of Our Lady of Grace. St. Jean would force the altar boy to touch the priest's genitals and to masturbate the priest.

This was the second suit alleging sexual abuse by St. Jean. On May 18, 2010, John Labbe had filed a complaint alleging abuse by St. Jean in 1965-1969, beginning when the boy was 9 years old. The alleged abuse began with fondling and proceeded to sodomy.

In addition to these cases, the Diocese of Manchester reported to the New Hampshire Attorney General that it had received a complaint in 2004 that St. Jean sexually abused a New Hampshire boy in Massachusetts in 1960-1961. The diocese also reported that in 2008, it received word that a woman had reported to the Oblates that her brother had been sexually abused in the 1960s at the Shrine of Our Lady of Grace. Perhaps this report pertains to the Labbe allegation.

On February 14, 2011, the Diocese of Manchester filed a motion to force the plaintiff in the John Doe suit to identify himself. The plaintiff filed an objection and an affidavit which stated that he feared the effects that disclosing his name would have on his family and his livelihood.

Alleged Abuse of John Doe by St. Jean in 1967-1968

* Complaint (7/21/10)

* Diocese of Manchester's Motion to Dismiss (2/14/11)

* Memorandum in Support of Motion to Dismiss (2/14/11)

* Affidavit with Exhibits (partial copy) (2/14/11)

* John Doe's Objection to Motion to Dismiss (3/1/11) with affidavits

* Man Files Sex Abuse Lawsuit against Manchester Diocese, by Kria Sakakeeny, WMUR (7/22/10)

* Former Colebrook Altar Boy Says He Was Abused, by Dale Vincent, New Hampshire Union Leader (7/22/10)


Alleged Abuse of John Labbe by St. Jean in 1965-1969

* Man Says Colebrook Priest Abused Him in the 1960s, by Kathryn Marchocki, New Hampshire Union Leader (5/19/10)

* N.H. Man Files Sex Abuse Lawsuit against Diocese, by Lynne Tuohy, Boston Globe (5/19/10)


Alleged Abuse of NH Boy in Massachusetts by St. Jean in 1961 or 1962

* NH Attorney General's Record of the Complaint to the Manchester Diocese and Their Referral (1/28/04)


Report of Allegation of Abuse by St. Jean in the Mid-1960s at the Shrine of Our Lady of Grace

* Email Reporting Allegation of Abuse by St. Jean (3/7/08)













Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.