Around the Midwest
Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
April 25, 1994
The sexual molestation conviction in Oshkosh, Wis., of the Rev. Norbert Maday is expected to result in the refiling of several lawsuits against the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago.
The lawsuits were withdrawn last month pending the outcome of Maday's criminal trial. They were originally filed by two victims who testified at the trial, the parents of one of them and another man who contends the priest molested him as a youth. All said they would refile their legal actions.
It's accountability," said the mother of one victim. That is a way of making other people involved accountable for what they did."
Maday, 56, was found guilty Friday of criminal sexual assault. The circuit court jury of seven women and five men took three hours to convict the priest of molesting two boys at a religious retreat in Oshkosh in 1986.
The boys, then 13 and 14, were members of Our Lady of the Ridge parish in Chicago Ridge, Ill., where Maday was associate pastor.
Maday remains free on a $ 15,000 cash bond. He could face up to 10 years in prison and a $ 10,000 fine on each sexual assault count. He also could face up to five years and $ 10,000 fine for intimidating a witness. Judge William E. Crane has set sentencing for June 8.
The archdiocese has said Maday will stay on administrative leave and under its supervision.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.