Sexual Abuse Accusations Strike Six Who Served As Priests in Spokane
[See below for career histories and photos of Revs. Reinard
Beaver, Theodore Bradley, Arthur
Mertens, James O’Malley, Patrick
O’Donnell, and Benno Oosterman.]
Reinard Beaver, 73, attended Walla
Walla High School and St. Edward Seminary in Kenmore, Wash., before ordination
to the priesthood at St. Patrick Church, Walla Walla, on May 19, 1956.
Theodore Bradley, 76, was ordained
to the priesthood Aug. 15, 1958.
He was assistant pastor of St. Augustine Parish (August 1949-August 1951) and Sacred Heart Parish (August 1951-August 1956), Spokane, when he was named Diocesan Director of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.
In May 1957 he was named pastor of St. Rose of Lima Parish, Cheney, where he served through July 1961, when he was assigned to the diocese's mission in Guatemala.
In August 1974 he was given the title "monsignor.
He left the diocese for work in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal movement in Dallas, Texas, in 1977, but returned as a member of the pastoral team serving the parishes in Pasco, Connell and Eltopia in August 1978.
He was named spiritual director of the English-language Cursillo movement in July 1980. At the same time he became associate pastor of St. Francis Xavier Parish, Spokane.
In 1981 he was named pastor of St. Patrick Parish, Walla Walla.
He retired June 1, 1989.
He was assistant pastor of the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes from April 1947 through August 1949, when he became assistant pastor of Our Lady of the Rosary Parish in Chewelah.
That was followed by two assignments as pastor: St. Anthony Parish, Newport (August 1952-September 1958) and St. Mary of the Rosary, Chewelah (September 1958-September 1962).
He returned to the Cathedral as an assistant pastor in September 1962.
He became pastor of Holy Rosary Parish, Rosalia, and St. Catherine Parish, Oakesdale, in November 1965.
In August 1969 he moved as pastor to St. John Vianney Parish, Spokane. On July 1, 1980, he was named pastor of St. Paschal Parish, Spokane.
He retired in June of 1989.
He was named assistant pastor of St. Peter Parish, Spokane, in September 1971.
In January 1972 he was named assistant director of diocesan youth activities, and in April of that year, diocesan Scout chaplain.
He received a temporary assignment as assistant pastor of St. Augustine Parish, Spokane, in June 1973, and in September of that year moved to St. Mary Parish, Spokane, again as an assistant pastor.
The following August he became assistant pastor of Assumption Parish, Spokane.
At the end of 1978 he moved to Seattle for study, an internship at Family Counseling Services, and ministry at St. Paul Church.
In September 1979 he returned to the Spokane Diocese. He was named pastor of the parishes in Rosalia, Oakesdale and Garfield.
He became pastor of St. John Vianney Parish, Spokane, in May 1985. In mid-November that year he was replaced as pastor.
He was assistant pastor of St. Francis Xavier Parish, Spokane (August 1956-August 1959), Holy Family Parish, Clarkston (August 1959-August 1961) and St. Patrick Parish, Pasco (August 1961-September 1966).
He then was named pastor of the parishes in Wellpinit, Hunters, Ford, and West End.
In May 1971 he moved as pastor to the parishes in Wilbur and Coulee Dam, where he served until June 1975. At that time he was named associate director of the diocese's retreat apostolate.
In August 1978 he was released to the Archdiocese of Anchorage, Alaska; on Feb. 18, 1980, he resigned.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.