Diocese Calls Abuse Claims 'Credible'
By Sean Doogan
August 22, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska - Bishop Donald Kettler of the Catholic Diocese of Fairbanks said accusations of abuse against one of the Interior priests are credible. The priest has been removed from the Diocese of Fairbanks. Three women claim they were abused by Rev. Richard McCaffrey when they were children.
A civil suit has been filed by one of the women in Bethel district court. During Monday's announcement, Kettler said the Fairbanks sexual abuse review board had been working with retired Alaska State Trooper investigator Jim McCann to review the claims.
"I have determined that they were credible. I have taken away what we call the faculties from Father McCaffrey, that he cannot function as a priest in our diocese. Everything else now rests in the hands of the Jesuits," said Kettler.
Kettler says officials with the Diocese of Portland know of McCaffrey's presence there, and say he won't be allowed contact with the public during his stay at the Society of Jesus, Oregon Province.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.