Edmund J. Robinson, S.J. 50 Years in the Priesthood
Where did Ed find his passion for reading? Was it at Blessed Sacrament Grade School in Seattle or while he attended Seattle Prep? It could have been during his course of studies, which began at the Sheridan Novitiate in 1942 and ended at Alma College in 1955, when he was ordained. Or perhaps he fell in love with reading during his 37 years of pastoral ministry in some of the more remote regions of the province.
After ordination, Ed was assigned to St. Paul's Mission in Hays, Montana, as assistant pastor for two years. After a year for tertianship, he returned there as pastor and served the Gros Ventre and Assiniboine communities for another three years. From there he moved across the state to St. Ignatius, Montana and then to Omak, Washington, where he was pastor for two years.
In 1966, Ed returned to Hays, Montana and then back to St. Ignatius, working in those remote missions for a total of 15 years. One thing about Montana winters: they are conducive to reading. Ed can testify to that!
He moved south in 1981 to DeSmet, Idaho. From 1985 until he settled in Spokane's Regis Community, Ed provided pastoral ministry in four parishes the Oregon Province has since returned to dioceses: St. Luke in Woodburn, Oregon, St. Jude in Havre, Montana, St. Thomas in Harlem, Montana and St. Stanislaus in Lewiston, Idaho.
Since 1993, Ed has been at the Regis Community. His passion for reading continues, as does his priestly and pastoral ministries.