Former Priest Accused a Second Time in Sex Suit

By Dave Orrick
Chicago Daily Herald
April 7, 2006

A former Chicago priest believed now to be living in Lake County has been accused for the second time of molestation in a lawsuit filed Thursday.

The former priest, Robert Craig, could not be reached for comment, and the Chicago Archdiocese, which had been trying to settle the allegation without a lawsuit, expressed "disappointment" with the legal action.

Craig had been removed from the ministry in 1993 after the late Cardinal Joseph Bernadin found "reasonable cause to suspect" he had molested a child, according to lawyers filing the suit and the archdiocese. In October, he was accused of molestation in a lawsuit. That case was settled.

Thursday's suit, filed in the name of Juan Doe to conceal the accuser's identity from the general public, alleges Craig sexually abused him between 1987 and 1990, when the accuser was between the ages of 13 and 16.

The accuser, his attorneys and members of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, appeared at a news conference to announce the suit.

At the event and in a news release, they provided a Lake County address and phone number they said they "believed" belonged to Craig. A phone message left at that number - where a Robert Craig does live - was not returned Thursday.

"We're disappointed in the filing of this lawsuit because this had been part of a mediation, and we hoped to reach an agreement," archdiocese spokeswoman Dianne Dunagan said. "We would like to see all parties continue with the process."


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.