Kotlik - Saint Joseph Catholic Church
Diocese of Fairbanks
Kotlik - Saint Joseph Catholic Church Web Site
Kotlik is located on the east bank of the Kotlik River and on the northern mouth of the Yukon River. It has long been a Central Yup'ik Eskimo settlement. Ancestors to many residents of Kotlik were people from the old village of Chaneliak. The old church, which once stood in Chaneliak, was disassembled and the lumber salvaged when the village was abandoned.
Records show that Saint Joseph parish was first established in the early 1930's by Fr. Martin Lonneux, S.J., (1932-1952), who was stationed at Saint Michael. Many who succeeded Fr. Lonneux were visiting priests like himself. However, a few among them were residents such as Fr. James Plamondon, S.J., (1972-1975), Fr. Henry Hargreaves, S.J., (1980-1982), and Fr. RenÃ© Astruc, S.J., (1982-1983).
Eskimo Deacons from Kotlik were appointed during the years 1987 and 1988. Visiting Jesuits after that time were: Frs. Henry Hargreaves (1988-1994), Robert Paskey (1994-1995), Eugene Delmore (1995-1998), and RenÃ© Astruc (1998-present).