Four More Abuse Suits Filed against Archdiocese
By Matt Sepic
KWMU [St. Louis MO]
Downloaded July 8, 2003
T. LOUIS (2003-07-08) Four more people have sued the St. Louis Catholic Archdiocese, alleging they were abused as children by Father Michael McGrath.
Three men and one woman, now all in their 30s, say the abuse took place in McGrath's van in the 1970s and '80s.
Attorney Patrick Noaker is bringing the suit.
"Our law firm has handled close to 1000 cases involving sexual abuse by clergy, and we have never had seven lawsuits filed in the same month against the same perpetrator," Noaker said.
Last month a St. Louis family filed a wrongful death suit alleging their 30-year-old son's suicide was a result of childhood abuse by the priest.
An archdiocesan spokesman said McGrath was removed from active ministry in 1997, but declined to comment on the lawsuits.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.