Report: Archdiocese Ready to Make New Offer
Attorney Says Church Can't Expect 'Volume Discount'
The Boston Channel [Boston MA]
August 21, 2003
BOSTON -- The Boston Archdiocese is reportedly ready to submit a new dollar amount to alleged victims Thursday.
NewsCenter 5's Gail Huff reported that attorneys rejected the first offer from the church earlier this week. The new offer is reportedly less than what the victims were hoping for.
There was an offer on the table 11 days after Archbishop Sean O'Malley's installation. It was the first offer the church made in more than a year. It provided $55 million to be split between 52 alleged victims.
The offer included a provision that required that 95 percent of the victims approve. The offer had to be accepted within 30 days, but last Monday, attorneys for the victims rejected it.
"When you take that many people and start talking about the kinds of things that have happened to them, the numbers are going to be huge. People have to prepare themselves," alleged victims' attorney Carmen Durso said. "The archdiocese is not entitled to a volume discount because of the great numbers of people who were harmed."
On Monday, attorneys for the victims said that they want $90 million to $100 million to settle the claims. According to the Boston Herald the counter offer comes in below $90 million.
The newspaper does not name its source.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.