Tasmanian Archbishop Accused of Ignoring Abuse Claims
August 29, 2003
The Catholic Archbishop of Hobart has been called on to resign over claims he ignored a complaint of sexual abuse within the church.
Channel Nine aired complaints last night from a Tasmanian who says he was sexually abused by a Catholic priest from the age of 14 in the mid-1980s.
Derrum Kearns has told Channel Nine he first wrote to Archbishop Adrian Doyle in 2001, about being sexually abused by a high-ranking Catholic Priest when he was a teenager.
Mr Kearns said the priest was never questioned about the allegations and continued to work with children.
He claimed it was only after he threatened legal action earlier this year that the priest was sent interstate on leave.
Tasmanian Coalition for Inquiry into Sex Abuse spokesman Steve Fisher says he is disgusted by the way the Archbishop handled the situation.
"Adrian Doyle's going to have to take a long hard look at himself and question whether he's the man for the job," Mr Fisher said.
The Tasmanian Catholic church is refusing to comment.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.