Accused Cincinnati Priest Continued to Work at Youth Center
Ohio News Network [Cincinnati OH]
September 12, 2003
The Archdiocese of Cincinnati was unaware that one of its priests has been working at a treatment center for troubled youths even though he was ordered to stay away from children.
The Reverend David Kelley worked at the center in Clermont County until last month.
Officials said the archdiocese first received complaints about Kelley's involvement with youths in 1983, when he was a teacher at a high school in Cincinnati. He was sent to a counseling center in 1987 for treatment for alcoholism and sexual issues.
He quit shortly before five men accused him of sexually abusing them as teenagers at a Cincinnati parish between 1979 and 1982.
Kelley is one of five Roman Catholic priests who were allowed to stay in active ministry in the archdiocese even though they have been accused of sexual abuse.
A spokesman for the archdiocese says Kelley appears to have violated its order barring him from having contact with children.
Critics say the case is an example of the church not supervising its priests closely enough.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.