O'Malley Vows Fund-Raising Cash Won't Go to Abuse Deal
By Tom Mashberg
September 16, 2003
Archbishop Sean P. O'Malley videotaped a new message to his flock yesterday touting the Archdiocese of Boston's annual Catholic Appeal fund-raising drive and making clear that no contributions will go to fund settlement costs.
"The archbishop is taking a leadership role in bringing the message of the appeal to all parishioners of the archdiocese," said Damien J. DeVasto, director of the Catholic Appeal. "It is in recognition that the appeal is the financial lifeblood of the work of the church."
O'Malley's message, in the form of a statement to parishioners underlining the purpose and meaning of the appeal, will be shown in parishes throughout the archdiocese and possibly on Boston Catholic Television, church aides said.
According to DeVasto, the annual appeal is entering its second phase for 2003 - a period church officials hope will benefit from last week's announcement of an $85 million settlement in the clergy sexual abuse scandal. The goal for the 2003 Catholic Appeal, the church said earlier this year, is $9 million. The appeal is an annual drive separate from the church's long-term capital campaign, which ended in June with $200 million in pledges.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.