Priest Pleads Not Guilty to Sexual Abuse Charges
The Rev. James Stein Will Reappear in Court Jan. 26
By Monique Balas
Downloaded November 16, 2003
The Rev. James Stein pled not guilty to three counts of felony second degree sexual abuse of a child at an arraignment hearing Friday morning.
Stein, 43, is accused of fondling a 14-year-old boy in the hot tub and shower area at the St. Norbert Abbey in De Pere on three separate occasions in August or September of 1988. At the time, the boy had been working as a cook's assistant in the Priory, a residency for priests who taught at Premontre High School (now Notre Dame Academy), and Stein was serving as head of campus ministry at the school.
A motion hearing was set for Jan. 26 on past records and statute of limitations issues. The victim, now 29, moved out of the area in 1992 and only recently moved back. Assistant District Attorney Dana Johnson said following the Oct. 27 preliminary hearing the statute of limitations could likely be excluded. If Stein had remained in the area, the claim would not have been valid in court after six years.
Stein's attorney, Steven Glynn, said he will challenge the limitation by trying to find out exactly where Stein has been living to determine if he has been out of state the whole time. Glynn will also file a motion of past record.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.