Bacani Accuser Says She's Happy over Vatican Decision
By Blanche Rivera
December 3, 2003
THE FORMER secretary who has accused Novaliches Bishop Teodoro Bacani of making sexual advances against her, is happy that he has been replaced as head of the diocese.
The Vatican accepted Bacani's resignation last week and appointed San Fernando Bishop Antonio Tobias to the post, but his installation has yet to be announced.
An Inquirer source said the 35-year-old woman felt she had won justice, and was glad she had brought her case to the Catholic church.
In her complaint filed before the Apostolic Nunciature in Manila, the woman said her boss of five years had tried to hug and kiss her in his office.
Papal Nuncio to the Philippines Archbishop Antonio Franco conducted an investigation and submitted the results to Rome.
In accepting Bacani's resignation, the Vatican cited a provision of Canon Law that says a bishop who has become unsuited to fulfill his ministry should be requested to resign. But the Nunciature denied that Bacani had been so requested.
The woman is said to be currently studying and working "somewhere in Metro Manila." She quit Bacani's employ shortly before filing her complaint early this year.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.