Archbishop "Ashamed" over Abuse
Daily Telegraph [Australia]
May 31, 2004
ADELAIDE'S Anglican archbishop today apologised for his church's substandard handling of child sexual abuse allegations.
The Most Reverend Ian George said he was sorry for the church's response to hundreds of claims of sexual abuse over the past 50 years.
An independent report into the church's handling of the claims was detailed in parliament today, after two clergymen raised allegations of a paedophile network operating within the church in past decades.
The report found "the church's attitude was uncaring towards victims and, at times, had the result of undermining the character of victims and their families".
The report criticised the Adelaide diocese with being "more concerned with legal and insurance responsibilities than the healing of those who had been abused".
Archbishop George said the church acknowledged that had been the case in some instances.
"The church is devastated that people in its care have been so profoundly affected by people in trust, by direct abuse or poor process," he said.
"We are ashamed."
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.