Diocese Says Allegation of Abuse by Current Priest Is Credible
WHO-TV Channel 13 [Iowa]
August 25, 2004
DAVENPORT, Iowa - The Roman Catholic Diocese of Davenport has determined that an allegation of sexual abuse of a minor by a priest in Johnson County during 1998 is credible.
Rand Wonio, a diocese attorney, says the diocese will not immediately identify the priest or his past assignments. He says an announcement will be made after the parishes and entities where the priest worked have been notified and consulted about the best way to inform the public.
The diocese made the announcement after completing its internal investigation of the allegation, which was reported to church officials last year.
Wonio says the priest has been restricted from active duty since last year, pending the outcome of the investigation.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.