New England in Brief
Restrictions Are Lifted on Accused Priest [Boston MA]
June 8, 2005

A Roman Catholic priest who had been accused of sexually abusing a child has been approved to return to the ministry after a church review panel found that the allegation was unsubstantiated, the Boston Archdiocese said. The Rev. Robert Fichtner was placed on administrative leave in 2003, after the archdiocese received a complaint that he had sexually abused a child at St. Joseph Church in Holbrook more than 20 years earlier. In a statement released yesterday, the archdiocese said the review board could not verify the allegation after "careful review of the information available" and lifted all restrictions on Fichtner's exercise of public ministry. (AP)


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.