Former Memphis Altar Boy Files Lawsuit
Associated Press, carried in WVLT Volunteer TV [Knoxville TN]
September 9, 2005
MEMPHIS, Tenn. A man who says a suspended Roman Catholic priest molested him after he sought counseling as boy has filed a lawsuit.
It names the Reverend Paul St. Charles, Bishop Terry Steib and the Catholic Diocese of Memphis as defendants.
This is at least the fourth lawsuit alleging sexual abuse by priests to be filed in the past year against the diocese.
The plaintiff says he was 13 when he went to St. Charles, seeking counseling during the 1970's.
He claims the priest encouraged him to join the Catholic Youth Organization and become an altar boy -- then molested him at a drive-in.
The plaintiff claims in his lawsuit that news reports about similar suits revived his memories of the abuse. He asks for unspecified damages.
St. Charles retired in 1986 and now lives in Nashville. Steib suspended St. Charles from ministry last year after a diocesan review concluded allegations against him in another case were likely true.
Information from: The Commercial Appeal, http://www.commercialappeal.com