Archdiocese Requests Dismissal of Abuse Charges

WQAD [Cedar Rapids IA]
September 20, 2005

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa The Archdiocese of Dubuque is asking a judge to dismiss sexual abuse charges against two priests because it says they were not filed soon enough.

The suit was filed last year by a former altar boy who alleges sexual abuse in 1962. Both priests -- John Peters and William Roach -- have since died.

In a federal court hearing in Cedar Rapids yesterday, an attorney for the archdiocese told a judge that the former alter boy should have filed the charges earlier and that the Church should not be responsible for the priests' actions.

The man's attorney says the suit was filed after the 2002 Boston archdiocese abuse scandal when people realized the church was covering up for priests.

A decision on the request by the Dubuque archdiocese is expected by the end of the month


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.