Abuse Lawsuit Filed against Archdiocese of Santa Fe

The Associated Press, carried in The Albuquerque Tribune [Santa Fe NM]
March 30, 2006

A teenage boy is seeking unspecified damages from the Archdiocese of Santa Fe, alleging he was sexually abused by a priest last year.

The teen's lawsuit, filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Albuquerque, names as defendants Archbishop Michael Sheehan and George S. Silva, a former Raton priest indicted by a federal grand jury last month on four counts involving transporting a minor from New Mexico to France and Portugal for criminal and illicit sexual activity.

The teen, identified only as John Doe, suffered physical injury, emotional distress, loss of self-esteem, disgrace, lost wages and expenses for medical care and counseling, the lawsuit said.

The archdiocese said in a statement that it disagreed with the allegations and that archdiocesan policies had been followed.

The archdiocese barred Silva, 73, from public ministry last June after learning of the allegations that led to the indictment.

The archdiocese later placed Silva on restricted status after an internal investigation found "credible evidence" to support the allegations.


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.