Priest Admits to Sexual Abuse
Investigation under Way
April 10, 2006
SAGINAW, Mich. — A priest has admitted to church officials that he sexually abused a teenager 30 years ago.
Reverend Richard Szafranski wrote in a statement read by the bishop that the relationship was wrong and painful to the girl.
Bishop Robert J. Carlson of the Saginaw Diocese said at a news conference that the 57-year-old Szafranski is on administrative leave from Saint Matthew Catholic Church in Saginaw County's Zilwaukee Township.
The victim came forward last week and identified Szafranski as the priest who abused her, church officials said.
Carlson said the church will conduct an internal investigation after Saginaw County prosecutors review the case.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.