L.I. Diocese Reinstates Priest Accused of Abuse
September 16, 2006
(CBS/AP) Long Island A Roman Catholic priest on Long Island has been reinstated by church officials after they concluded that sexual misconduct allegations lodged against him were unsubstantiated.
The Diocese of Rockville Center announced on its newspaper Web site that a review board had cleared the Rev. William Logan, 65, to go back to work.
"At this point there is no reason not to return him to the ministry. He is not a danger to anyone," said Sean Dolan, a spokesman for the diocese.
It was unclear when Logan would return to his pastoral duties. His most recent assignment had been as pastor of the St. Ignatius the Martyr Church, in Long Beach.
"Right now he is recuperating from the strain of this ordeal," Dolan told Newsday.
The diocese suspended Logan in March after a 39-year-old Holbrook woman claimed that the priest had engaged in disturbing conduct decades ago, when she was 13. The woman said Logan had pulled her out of confirmation classes at a church in Sayville to sit on his lap.
A 48-year-old woman represented by the same attorney claimed that when she was 14, Logan repeatedly phoned her at home and visited her at work and made inappropriate comments about wanting to kiss her.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.