Catholic Bishop Confronted after Mass
By Brandon Bain
Newsday [Rockville Centre NY]
October 1, 2006
Two people who say they were sexually abused by Roman Catholic priests decades ago confronted Bishop William Murphy Sunday after he offered Mass at St. Agnes Cathedral in Rockville Centre.
Janique Polimine joined Dick Regan as they waited in line with other parishioners and asked Murphy about their cases. The pair said they had hoped for an apology.
Polimine, 39, of Holbrook, who filed a $6 million lawsuit against the Diocese of Rockville Centre on Friday, alleged that she was sexually abused in 1980 by the Rev. William Logan while she was a confirmation student at St. James Roman Catholic Church in Seaford.
After a handshake and brief introduction Polimine asked Murphy, "I want to know why you reinstated William Logan?" Murphy replied, "I already told you," to which Polimine fired back, "No, you didn't. You were not clear in your letter at all," she said.
Murphy then pulled his hand away and said with a smile, "Thank you. God bless."
Regan, 62, who in February drove to Long Island from his home in the Rochester area to confront Murphy, did so again, this time he said to support Polimine. Regan, who alleged he and five other siblings were abused in the '50s and '60s by the late Rev. Daniel Babis, said he asked Murphy about a private meeting that was promised to him earlier in the year, but never occurred.
In response, Regan said Murphy told him, "'Have your lawyer call my lawyer.'"
After the encounter, Polimine said, "I'm extremely unsatisfied." She added, "I'm infuriated the public is not upset. I'm not done."
Murphy, who offers Mass at St. Agnes the first Sunday of every month, did not comment to the media after meeting Regan and Polimine.
"It's inappropriate to confront the bishop after Mass regarding anything to do with a lawsuit," said Sean Dolan, a spokesman for the diocese.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.