Former Del. Priest Not Serving in N.Y. Church When Sex Abuse Allegedly Occurred
By Beth Miller
The News Journal
October 23, 2006
Syracuse, N.Y., officials say the former Diocese of Wilmington priest arrested on child sexual abuse charges last week was not serving in a church when the incidents allegedly occurred.
Danielle Cummings, a spokeswoman for the Diocese of Syracuse, said Wilmington church officials had notified the diocese in 2002 that Francis G. DeLuca had retired and moved back to his hometown but should not serve in any priestly capacity.
Syracuse police spokesman Joseph Cecile said he could not explain how DeLuca, 77, came into contact with the alleged Syracuse victim, now 18 years old, because it could reveal the boy's identity. The charges against DeLuca were made after the boy told his mother that DeLuca had abused him from the time he was 12 or 13 until he was 17 years old.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.