Church Trial to Start for Priest
By Gary Stern
Journal News [New York]
November 9, 2006
The long-awaited church trial of Monsignor Charles Kavanagh, the best known New York priest removed from ministry during the sex-abuse crisis of 2002, will take place next week in Erie, Pa.
The trial before a panel of priests is set to begin Monday and wrap up Friday — the day when Kavanagh's accuser will testify.
The Archdiocese of New York announced in January that the Vatican had granted a church trial to Kavanagh, who was the archdiocese's chief fundraiser until 2002. At that time, a former student of Kavanagh's, Daniel Donohue, who grew up in Peekskill, charged that Kavanagh lured him into an inappropriately close, but non-sexual relationship during the late 1970s.
"I expect to be heard, to deliver whatever truth and message that I can," Donohue said this afternoon.
He said he was notified by the archdiocese last week that the trial had been scheduled.
Kavanagh, a popular figure with many Catholics in the suburbs, campaigned for due process after his removal. He openly defied Cardinal Edward Egan by wearing his clerical collar in public.
The trial will be closed. It was moved to Erie to reduce media coverage.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.