Archdiocese Dismisses Two Priests
Men Face Sexual Assault Charges
March 22, 2007
Boston — The Archdiocese of Boston dismissed two priests Thursday after reports of sexual abuse of a minor.
Anthony J. Laurano and W. James Nyhan will no longer receive any financial support from the archdiocese and may no longer function as priests, with the exception of offering absolution to the dying, the archdiocese said in a statement.
Laurano, who retired in 1995, has been restricted from any public ministry since 2002 due to allegations of sexual abuse of a minor. He was indicted on two counts of child rape and was arraigned in Plymouth Superior Court in April 2005. In 2006, new charges were brought against him by the Plymouth district attorney.
Nyhan, who was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Boston in 1973, was placed on administrative leave in 2002 after the archdiocese received an allegation of sexual abuse of a minor. Last year, Nyhan was convicted of criminal charges involving the sexual abuse of children while he served in Charleston, S.C., more than 25 years ago.
"For those who have been sexually abused by members of the clergy, I sincerely apologize for the suffering you and your families have endured. Sexual crimes perpetrated against children or vulnerable adults by priests are shameful and grievous. I remain committed to providing support for survivors and their loved ones who have experienced such profound emotional and spiritual suffering as a result of these depraved acts," Cardinal Sean O'Malley said in a statement.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.