|Accused Catholic Priest Restored to Ministry
By Tom Beyerlein
Dayton Daily News
July 17, 2008
Cincinnati Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk has restored a suspended priest to ministry after an investigation failed to substantiate an allegation that he sexually abused a boy in the 1950s.
It's the second time the Cincinnati archdiocese investigated the same complaint against Rev. Robert A. Stricker — the first time was in 1993 — and determined the allegation was unsubstantiated.
Stricker, 85, had been on administrative leave since May, when the purported victim renewed his allegation with new information.
"After further investigation, it did not seem appropriate to send the case to the Vatican" for a possible defrocking of Stricker, archdiocese spokesman Dan Andriacco said Thursday, July 17.
Andriacco said he could not comment further on the investigation.
Stricker, ordained in 1948, retired in 1993, the same year the allegation surfaced.
Though retired, Stricker celebrates Mass at St. Therese of the Little Flower Church in Cincinnati's Mount Airy neighborhood. His accuser claimed Stricker abused him as a child at St. William parish in Price Hill. Stricker denied the allegation.
The Cincinnati archdiocese serves roughly 500,000 Catholics in 19 counties, including the Dayton area. Seven area priests are currently on administrative leave after being accused of child sexual abuse, seven others have been defrocked and two more have been permanently removed from ministry but are still under the archdiocese's authority.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.