|Abuse Case Ended
By Schuyler Kropf, Adam Parker
Post and Courier
February 7, 2009
The case against a suspended Catholic priest accused of molesting a 12-year-old child in the early 1970s was dismissed Friday, according to 9th Circuit Assistant Solicitor Debbie Herring-Lash.
Eugene Luke Condon, 79, an ex-priest who once worked at Stella Maris Catholic Church on Sullivan's Island, had been arrested in January 2006 and charged with molestation. He had pled guilty in 1998 to other abuse cases and received five years' probation.
Herring-Lash said she decided to drop the case because of the victim's extensive legal, mental and sobriety issues. She said the victim was unable to testify and that it was unlikely his condition would improve enough to allow the case to proceed.
Condon turned himself in three years ago and was released from jail after posting bail on two charges of committing a lewd act on a minor and one charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, warrants state. He is a registered sex offender.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston suspended him in 1996 and prohibited him from functioning or dressing as a priest.
Condon's career spanned four decades. He last served at St. John's Catholic Church in North Charleston. He was at Stella Maris from 1971 to 1977 and spent two years as an associate pastor at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist on Broad Street. He served as pastor of St. Peter in Beaufort and Holy Cross on St. Helena Island (1979-85) and of Sacred Heart on King Street (1985-91).
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.