|Perv Priest's Victims Sue for $10M
By Jose Martinez
New York Daily News
April 22, 2009
Two victims of a Catholic priest who pleaded guilty last year to sexually abusing boys have filed a $10 million lawsuit against the perverted man of the cloth.
Mark Lyman and David Landfear, who both live in upstate New York, charge that the Rev. Frank Genevieve preyed on them when they were teenagers during overnight trips to Boston and Manhattan.
"This was a trusted member within my family's social circle and he groomed us to the point where for a lot of years, I felt sorry for him," said Lyman, 44. "Unfortunately, I didn't come forward until I was 38."
In the suit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, Lyman and Landfear say they were abused between 1978 and 1987, when they were growing up in Schenectady.
"We were poor kids growing up in public housing," Lyman said. "He would take us out of our environment and sexually abuse us."
The suit says Genevieve would perform oral sex on both teens and would film Lyman on videotape while he masturbated at the priest's request.
In July, Genevieve pleaded guilty to raping Lyman, Landfear and other victims. He became a registered sex offender and received a suspended sentence of eight to 10 years in prison, meaning he won't be incarcerated if he avoids more crimes.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.