|Allegations of Sexual Abuse by Rochester Priest Deemed Credible
Democrat and Chronicle
November 18, 2009
Allegations of sexual abuse of a minor by a priest who has served in several Rochester-area churches in the past five decades have been deemed credible, according to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester.
"An allegation concerning sexual abuse of a minor dating back to the mid-1970s against the Rev. Conrad Sundholm, a retired priest now living in Florida, has been determined to be credible," Diocese spokesman Doug Mandelaro said in a printed statement.
Sundholm was pastor at St. Salome's Church in Irondequoit when the abuse allegedly occurred. He served there from 1974 to 1982.
The announcement was initially made over the weekend, by pastors of all of the churches in which Sundholm had previously served. The news was announced during Mass, in an effort to reach out to anyone who may have further information about the incident.
Sundholm, 80, was ordained on June 4, 1955. Prior to retiring in 1999, he also served at Blessed Sacrament parish in Rochester (1955-60); Sacred Heart Cathedral (1960-65) in Rochester; St. Mary's in Auburn, Cayuga County (1965-71); St. Cecilia in Irondequoit (1971-74); and Holy Family/St. Aloysius in Auburn (1982-99).
Bishop Matthew H. Clark has withdrawn Sundholm's priestly faculties, which means Sundholm can no longer perform any type of service or public ministry, Mandelaro said.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.