|Video: Accused Priest Still Preaches
By Gary Tuchman
March 16, 2010
Why would the Archdiocese of Chicago pay a former alter boy 1.4 million dollars to settle a molestation lawsuit, even though the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services said that credible evidence of abuse had not been found? To answer this question Gary Tuchman and I went to Winfield, Illinois earlier this winter.
The wind was sharp and biting with snow covering the ground when we pulled up to The Shrine of Christ the King church. We braved the weather to meet Father Chester Przybylo, who agreed to an interview about the allegations he was vigorously fighting. Allegations by former altar boys, Peter Galica and Paul Gil, both of whom say they were sexually abused by Father Przybylo 2 decades ago at a catholic church in Chicago, where Father Przybylo was serving at the time.
We wanted to ask Father Przybylo about our interviews with Peter Galica and Paul Gil. We also wanted to ask him about documents handed to us by Galicaís attorney. These documents, held in church archives until recently, uncovered suspicions some priests and parents had about physical and sexual abuse inside the church.
When we entered The Shrine of Christ the King, we were greeted by many supporters of Father Przybylo. They all said they love their priest and have no concerns about the allegations against him. This church is independent and not recognized by the Catholic Church so it canít prevent the priest from conducting mass here, which he does regularly. The Archdiocese of Chicago says Przybylo, originally from Poland, is no longer affiliated with them and hasnít been for many years.
He insists he never touched his accusers and he is extremely upset at the archdiocese for paying out so much money. What does the Archdiocese have to say about the reason it paid out such a large sum? Watch our story and interview with Father Przybylo.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.