|South Phila. Priest Faces Sex Abuse Allegation
By Ian Bush
May 10, 2010
A South Philadelphia priest has been removed from his parish after he was accused of sexual abuse of a minor more than 40 years ago.
Msgr. George Mazzotta, 72, a parochial vicar at Stella Maris parish, was relieved of his assignment by Cardinal Justin Rigali, according to a statement released today by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
The archdiocese says the allegation has been reported to the police. It is the first such claim that church authorities say they have received against Mazzotta.
Mazzotta now resides at Villa St. Joseph, the home for retired priests in Darby, Pa. The archdiocese says he has agreed to refrain from the public exercise of his priestly ministry during the investigation.
An announcement was made about Mazzotta at masses this weekend at the parish, and the archdiocese says it has made counselors available from its Victim Assistance Office.
Mazzotta was ordained in 1966, and has served at nearly a dozen parishes and schools in the Delaware Valley:
* St. Joseph, Downingtown (1966-1971)
* Epiphany of Our Lord, Philadelphia and St. Maria Goretti High School (1971-1976)
* St. Gabriel, Philadelphia (1976-1978)
* St. Clement, Philadelphia (1978-1980)
* St. Eugene, Primos (1980-1985)
* St. Paul, Norristown (1985-1988)
* Ss. Cosmas and Damian, Conshohocken (June 1988 - November 1988)
* St. Robert Bellarmine, Warrington (1988-1990)
* Mother of Divine Grace, Philadelphia (1990-1997)
* St. Madeline, Ridley Park (1997-2008)
* Stella Maris, Philadelphia (2008-2010)
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.