|Decision on Accused Priest Expected Next Month
May 12, 2010
A decision on the fate of a Catholic priest who was removed last year from a parish in Charleroi over a sexual abuse allegation will likely be made next month by Bishop David A. Zubik, a spokesman for the Diocese of Pittsburgh said today.
The Rev. David Dzermejko has been on administrative leave from Mary Mother of the Church parish since June.
He faces an independent review board next month, which will interview him and any alleged victims, review information and recommend to Bishop Zubik whether to return Father Dzermejko to ministry or place restrictions on him, the Rev. Ronald Lengwin said.
The update came in response to a streetside news conference Downtown this afternoon by two members of the group Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP. They handed Father Lengwin a letter to give to Bishop Zubik asking that the diocese do more to publicize credible allegations against clergy members.
Father Lengwin revealed that a second allegation was made against Father Dzermejko shortly after the first one came to light. The alleged victim in the second case read about the allegations in the newspaper and came forward to the Allegheny County district attorney's office, Father Lengwin said.
Mike Manko, a spokesman for the DA's office, confirmed that prosecutors were made aware of the complaints but said the office is not pursuing charges at this time.
"We have nothing we're looking at," Mr. Manko said.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.