|Bankruptcy Order Allows Priest Abuse Trials
June 4, 2010
A federal bankruptcy judge says several child sex abuse trials involving a former Diocese of Wilmington priest can be scheduled for trial.
The judge amended a previous order this week to allow eight trials alleging abuse by Francis DeLuca to began as soon as October. The order allows lawsuits to proceed against St. Elizabeth's, St. John's and St. Matthew's parishes.
The judge initially put the trials against the parishes on hold after the diocese filed for bankruptcy last year.
In other developments, an attorney for the alleged DeLuca victims says two new child sex abuse cases have been filed against parishes in Wilmington, Cambridge, Md., and Elkton, Md., alleging abuse by the late diocesan priests Walter Power and John O'Brien.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.