|Man Who Settled Sex Abuse Claim against Lansing Diocese Identifies Himself
By Kathleen Lavey
Lansing State Journal
August 31, 2010
Attorney Gregory Guggemos has identified himself as the man who settled a decades-old sex abuse claim against the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lansing for $225,000 earlier this month.
Guggemos, his voice sometimes breaking with emotion, read a 10-page statement at his attorney's office today. detailing the years-long process of recalling the abuse.
Guggemos says he was abused by Monsignor John Slowey at the St. Vincent home for children while he and three siblings stayed there for portions of 1954 and 1955.
Guggemos, formerly of Haslett, said he hopes that sharing his story will encourage other victims of abuse to come forward.
"I know now I did nothing wrong when I was at the orphanage. I have no responsibility for being sexually abused. I am a victim," he said.
Guggemos settled his suit weeks before Bishop Earl Boyea, leader of the 10-county Diocese of Lansing, said he believes another priest, the Rev. John Martin, abused at least a half-dozen boys who attended St. Isidore church in Laingsburg during the 1950s and early 1960s. Both Slowey and Martin are long dead.
Read Wednesday's Lansing State Journal for more on this report.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.