BishopAccountability.org
 
  St. John's Abbey Failed to Protect Abused Youth, Lawsuit Says

St. Cloud Times
June 7, 2011

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20110607/NEWS01/106070036/St-John-s-Abbey-failed-protect-abused-youth-lawsuit-says?odyssey=nav|head

[the lawsuit]

Former St. Johnís Abbot Timothy Kelly has been accused of sexually abusing an altar boy at a New York church in the 1960s, when Kelly was an associate pastor.

The allegations against Kelly, who was abbot from 1992-2000, are contained in a lawsuit filed today accusing the abbey and the Order of St. Benedict of being negligent in failing to protect and provide care for the boy, who was 15-16 years old at the time. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in St. Paul.

The lawsuit for the first time raises allegations against Kelly, who died last year after being diagnosed with esophageal cancer. He is the second abbot of St. Johnís to be accused of sexual misconduct.

 
 

Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.