Archdiocese Deems 2 Pa. Priests 'Unsuitable'
May 20, 2012
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Archdiocese of Philadelphia says two priests have been found unsuitable for ministry following allegations of sexual abuse of minors.
A statement from the archdiocese Sunday says the priests, who are both in their 70s, "have agreed to accept a supervised life of prayer and penance."
Officials say a May 2010 abuse allegation against one priest had been substantiated, while in December a retired priest had self-reported such conduct.
The statement said announcements regarding the archdiocese's actions were made Sunday at Philadelphia and suburban parishes where the priests most recently served.
Earlier this month, the archdiocese said five priests would be permanently barred from ministry after substantiated allegations of sexual abuse or inappropriate conduct. Officials said three other suspended priests would be allowed to return to ministry, and another died during the investigation.