Priest Sex Abuse Lawsuit Trial Delayed
By Abe Levy
San Antonio Express-News
June 18, 2012
A lawsuit trial involving a former priest accused of sexually abusing a 12-year-old altar boy in Floresville in the 1970s was delayed until October, the plaintiff's attorney said.
The lawsuit accused Louis Paul White, who was defrocked in 1989, of abusing the boy when he was an associate pastor at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Floresville. It also accused the Archdiocese of San Antonio of covering it up and allowing White to work at other parishes afterward.
Jury selection had been set for Monday but was reset for Oct. 8 because there weren't enough civil courtrooms available, said Thomas Rhodes, a lawyer for the plaintiff, now 48.
The archdiocese has not commented on the suit but has said it received credible accusations that White, now 69, and two other priests abused a teen when they worked at San Fernando Cathedral from 1978 to 1982.