Charges Dismissed against Priest Accused of Sexual Assault

By F. T. Norton
July 17, 2012

Charges of sexual battery against former Duplin County priest Father Edgar Sepulveda have been dismissed by the Brunswick County District Attorney’s Office, according to a press release from the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh.

Sepulveda, 49, was arrested Jan. 8, 2010, on charges of second-degree sexual offense and sexual battery, after the diocese reported allegations of sexual misconduct had been made against him.

In a release Monday, the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh said Sepulveda was then placed on administrative leave.

The release states that once the criminal investigation began, the diocese suspended its own investigation at the behest of law enforcement.

“With the criminal charges having now been dismissed by the civil authorities, the Diocese has re-commenced its investigation in accord with its procedures,” the release says, and Sepulveda remains on administrative leave.

While on administrative leave, Sepulveda, a Colombian native who was the pastor of two Duplin County churches and one in Wayne County, can’t publicly celebrate Catholic Mass or present himself as a priest.

Brunswick County District Attorney Jon David confirmed the charges against Sepulveda were dismissed. The prosecutor who handled the case was not immediately available for comment.








Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.