Response to New Lawsuit against Archdiocese
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Miami
October 23, 2012
MIAMI| The Archdiocese of Miami has learned of a lawsuit filed by attorney Jeffrey Herman alleging sexual abuse by Father Rolando Garcia, pastor of St. Agatha Catholic Church.
Mr. Herman has filed several lawsuits against the Archdiocese of Miami involving Fr. Garcia, and yet to date, none have been proven credible.
This is how the Archdiocese of Miami handles any allegation of sexual abuse: Our policy "Protecting God's Children" is very clear; once an allegation is received:
- It is reported to the county-appropriate State Attorney's office.
- Counseling is offered to the alleged victim and accused.
- An internal investigation is conducted by canon and civil lawyers to determine credibility.
- The findings of the internal investigation are brought to the Archdiocesan Review Board which consists of an attorney, two doctors, including a psychiatrist, a community leader, and a member of the clergy.
- Upon the conclusion of this meeting, the findings are reported to Archbishop Thomas Wenski.
The complete policy is available on the Archdiocese of Miami website, www.miamiarch.org
; click on "Protecting God's Children"
banner on the right-hand side of the page.