Fort Worth Diocese Settles Abuse Lawsuit
November 22, 2012
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — The Fort Worth Roman Catholic Diocese has settled a lawsuit filed by a former high school student who alleged he had been sexually abused by a priest.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that terms of the settlement reached Tuesday were not disclosed.
The lawsuit accused the Rev. William Paiz of abusing the unnamed former student between 1982 and 1987, starting when he was 16. The ex-student is now in his 40s.
The victim's attorney, Tahira Merritt, says the lawsuit was filed after the diocese did not take action after the alleged abuse was first reported in 2010.
Pat Svacina, a Fort Worth diocese spokesman, says those claiming abuse can seek several avenues within the church to address their grievances.