Msgr. Joseph Logrip found suitable to return to ministry
By Matthew Gambino
June 8, 2014
Msgr. Joseph L. Logrip, whose case was the last to be resolved among the 26 priests placed on administrative leave following the 2011 Philadelphia Grand Jury report on clergy sexual abuse of minors, has been found suitable for ministry based on unsubstantiated allegations that he sexually abused minors over 20 years ago.
Archbishop Charles Chaput made the decision on the priest and it was announced by the Philadelphia Archdiocese in a statement June 8. Announcements about the decision were made at St. Stanislaus Parish and St. Mary Manor, both in Lansdale, this weekend and when Msgr. Logrip was placed on leave in March 2011.
All such priests were not permitted to exercise their public ministry, administer the sacraments or present themselves publicly as priests.
The archdiocese did not indicate when or in what capacity Msgr. Logrip, 67, will return to priestly ministry. Ordained in 1972, he served in the following assignments: St. Ignatius, Yardley (1972-1974); St. Rose of Lima, North Wales (1974-1975); Bishop Kenrick High School (1974-1983); Epiphany of Our Lord, Plymouth Meeting (1975-1981); St. Gabriel’s Hall (1981-1983); Archbishop Carroll High School (1983-1990); St. Francis of Assisi, Norristown (1990-1992); St. Monica, Philadelphia (1992-1994); Mater Dolorosa, Philadelphia (1994-2000); Immaculate Conception, Levittown (2000-2007); SS. Philip and James, Exton (2007-2008); Mother of Divine Grace, Philadelphia (2008-2010); Chaplain, St. Mary Manor (2010-2011) and St. Stanislaus, Lansdale (2010-2011).
On three occasions in 2012 and two more in 2013, Archbishop Chaput announced resolutions to 25 cases of priests on leave.
Although Msgr. Logrip is the last of those cases, the clergy sexual abuse scandal still casts a shadow on the archdiocese.
The only priest among the group to be arrested, Father Andrew McCormick, awaits a new trial as his first ended in a deadlocked jury and mistrial. Father James J. Brennan is awaiting retrial set to begin June 16 on child endangerment charges. His first trial in 2012 also resulted in a deadlocked jury.
Msgr. William Lynn is serving house arrest after his 2012 conviction for child endangerment was overturned late last year by a state Superior Court; that decision is now on appeal.
Nevertheless the archdiocese continues its Honesty, Healing and Hope in Christ: Confronting Sexual Violence in Our Archdiocese initiative, which was introduced in May 2012. Once a case is resolved the program begins at the parish level and consists of four phases over six months.
Its purpose is to address the wide variety of reactions, thoughts and feelings that will be experienced as a result of the announcement both immediately and in the days and weeks ahead.
It identifies three primary stakeholders: the victims of the allegation or violation of The Standards of Ministerial Behaviors and Boundaries, which in the Msgr. Logrip case were found to be none; the parishioners including school and Parish Religious Education Program (PREP) families; and the priests on administrative leave.
Through the implementation of this initiative, the archdiocese said it “continues a journey of honesty, healing and hope toward the restoration of trust.”
The archdiocese said Msgr. Logrip’s case followed the same procedure as all other cases of priests placed on administrative leave following the February 2011 Grand Jury report. Prior to any investigation, the case was submitted to the appropriate local district attorney’s office. After the district attorney declined to press charges, investigations were conducted by the Multi-Disciplinary Team and the archdiocesan Office of Investigations.
The results of this process were submitted to the Archdiocesan Professional Responsibility Review Board, which is comprised of 12 men and women, both Catholic and non-Catholic, with extensive professional backgrounds in the investigation and treatment of child sexual abuse. It functions as a confidential advisory committee to the archbishop, which assesses allegations of sexual abuse as well as allegations of violations of The Standards of Ministerial Behavior and Boundaries.
The board made a recommendation on the suitability for ministry of Msgr. Logrip to Archbishop Chaput, who made the final decision.