Witnesses Would Prove Abuse Allegations False

By Brett Blume
CBS St. Louis
July 7, 2014

This morning, officials with the St. Louis Archdiocese announced a settlement in a child abuse case against a former priest the same day it was supposed to go to trial.

A 22-year-old woman identified as Jane Doe had accused Joseph Ross of molesting her as a small girl between 1997 and 2001.

During a 5-minute press conference with no follow-up questions taken, spokesperson Katie Pesha said they were prepared to put credible witnesses on the stand to prove the plaintiff was lying about being abused by Father Joseph Ross.

“We do not say this lightly,” Pesha said. “Jane Doe 92 made allegations in this case that her own family members dispute. She said her father witnessed the abuse by Ross, and did nothing to stop it. Her father denied this allegation in open court.

So why not let all of that come out in open court?

Pesha said it’s time to move forward, and a trial would have wasted church resources.

Ross had previously pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting an 11-year-old boy in 1988, but was allowed to return to another parish.








Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.