Orlando Catholic Diocese sued again over sexual abuse

By Jeff Kunerth
Orlando Sentinel
August 13, 2014

Following Pope Francis' statement last month that it's time for the Catholic Church to make reparations to its victims, a 52-year-old Orlando man has filed a lawsuit against the Orlando Catholic Diocese for sexual abuse by a priest in the 1970s.

The Pope's statement is important only if it is carried out by the local diocese, attorney Adam Horowitz said at a press conference this morning.

The lawsuit, filed against the Orlando Catholic Bishop John Noonan, alleges that the Orlando man was sexually abused by Father William Authenrieth as a 13-year-old altar boy at All Souls Catholic Church in Sanford.

Horowitz said he believes this is the seven lawsuit against the Diocese based on the actions of Authenrieth, who has admitted he molested boys while a priest.

Authenrieth left the priesthood and lives in a retirement facility in Massachusetts.

The Orlando man, who never married, is employed in city government, Horowitz said, and is identified only as G.S. Doe in the lawsuit.



Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.