Archdiocese Of Hartford In Supreme Court Today
By Katie Corrado
September 22, 2014
The state Supreme Court will begin hearing arguments Monday in a controversial case involving the Archdiocese of Hartford.
Two years ago, a jury awarded $1 million to a former alter boy, only referred to as Jacob Doe, who claimed he and a friend were repeatedly molested and sexually assaulted by Reverend Ivan Ferguson and one of Ferguson’s friends between 1981-1983. The boys said the abuse happened in a number of places, including their school in Derby, where Ferguson was reassigned after completing treatment for sexual abuse he admitted to committing in 1979.
The archdiocese is asking the court to overturn the $1 million verdict, and wants to reverse the state law that extended the statute of limitations for filing sexual assault lawsuits.
The law previously gave victims 17 years to file, but in 2002, it was extended to 30 years.
The diocese claims Jacob Doe could only file his lawsuit after the statute was changed, and says that’s unfair and unconstitutional.
Protesters gathered outside state Supreme Court last week, fighting against the church and saying they do not want the archdiocese to challenge the law.
It will likely be months before a ruling comes down from state Supreme Court.