Former North Vancouver Anglican priest facing more sex charges
By Brent Richter
North Shore News
March 16, 2016
The former North Vancouver Anglican priest accused of sexually abusing a number of boys in a youth detention centre in the 1980s is now facing more than a dozen new charges.
Gordon William Dominey, 63, had been the interim priest at St. Catherine’s Anglican Church for about six months. The Diocese of New Westminster put him on administrative leave when he was arrested at his Coquitlam home on Feb. 4.
Edmonton Police Service announced last week that four more alleged victims had come forward and that Crown counsel has approved 13 more charges of sexual assault and four more charges of gross indecency, bringing the total to 27.
The alleged incidents happened when Dominey worked at the Edmonton Youth Detention Centre between 1985 and 1989. The alleged victims were aged 14 to 17 at the time. Dominey transferred from the Diocese of Edmonton to the Diocese of New Westminster in July of 1990 and has worked in at least nine parishes in the Vancouver area since then.
The Diocese of New Westminster declined to make any comment on the new charges, however George Cadman, chancellor for the Diocese, said the St. Catherine’s parish is coping.
“The parish seems to be functioning as best as could be expected in the circumstances and the leadership in the parish is strong and is focused on how the parish needs to move forward,” Cadman said. “There is a priest who is providing what we call Sunday supply services at this point in time. There will be, in consultation with the leadership in the parish, a new interim priest put in place at that parish sometime over the next few months, I would expect.”