Another clergy sex abuse victim says Archdiocese is denying therapy
By Mike Beaudet
March 30, 2016
Yet another survivor of clergy sex abuse has come forward saying the Archdiocese of Boston is breaking its promise to pay for the counseling needed to try to repair the damage from being molested.
“I was told for the rest of my life, if I needed help, if I needed therapy, they would provide it,” the victim told 5 Investigates’ Mike Beaudet.
But it was an empty promise from the Archdiocese of Boston, according to the survivor, who settled his abuse claim with the church in 2006. He spoke on the condition he not be identified.
“To this day I still haven't gotten any help from them, and it’s beyond repair. I'll never ask them for anything,” he said.
He suffered years of abuse at the hands of Father William Cummings at St. Catherine of Genoa Church in Somerville starting when he was 11 years old.
He says he needs intensive inpatient treatment but it was denied by the Archdiocese. His longtime therapist tells 5 Investigates "...(my patient) was so devastated by this outcome that within a number of weeks he had attempted suicide."
“What kind of impact did this abuse have on your life?” Beaudet asked him.
“The abuse directly impacted my entire life. The abuse made me turn to alcohol and drugs to kill the pain, which led to all kinds of other stuff,” he said.
This survivor is speaking out after watching 5 Investigates last month tell the story of other clergy sex abuse survivors having trouble getting the Archdiocese to approve their therapy.
Another victim of priest abuse told 5 Investigates, “They were nonresponsive, they were condescending, belittling.”
Attorney Tyler Fox represents both survivors who talked to 5 Investigates. He points to the settlement agreements, which promise "continued therapy and healing," no strings attached.
“They breach this contract and they've breached their moral responsibility,” Fox said. “They've broken promises.”
But the Archdiocese strongly denies those allegations, telling 5 Investigates, "The Archdiocese of Boston has taken and continues to take full responsibility for the devastating harm done to so many from clergy abuse. We implement this commitment through financial reparation to survivors, funding of counseling, medication and other therapeutic services to survivors and their family members.”
The statement continued: "We encourage anyone who was abused by clergy to contact us so that we can help them get the treatment services that they need."
The Archdiocese wouldn’t comment specifically on the latest survivor to come forward but is urging him and his therapist to contact the Office of Pastoral Support and Outreach.
The survivor says that’s too little, too late. And his attorney doesn’t believe his clients are the only ones suffering.
“We believe there are many more people out there, many more victims who have been denied services,” Fox said.